Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Aquaponics - All System Go!!!

After ironing out all the problems (I hope!) I had the fish tank filled out to the brim.


Filled to the brim 


I made sure that all the water in the grow tanks were siphoned out before filling in the fish tank. In this way I am able to determine how much water is left in the fish when all the grow tanks were filled.


Water level after filled grow tank 


The water level is about 6 inches or 16cm below the brim, That is a comfortable level to work with and I think if I were to add one more grow tank, it would be no problem.


All system go!! 


After feeling everything is running smoothly, I started with the cycle time adjustment. The best time I could get is about 11 to 13 minutes, any slower the siphon will not start. I guess I just had to work with that even thought I mentioned theoretically is 15~20 minutes. Would a couple of minutes make a difference?? Hmmm ... Well the only way to find out is when the planting start and I am OK with that. I had also inoculated the water with some water from my fountain so that the maturity of the water can be shorten.

And I the final cost:

Total Hardware purchase: $175.00
Old parts cost estimate: $25.00
Total Cost : $200.00

I guess at Malaysian Ringgit $200.00 is reasonable and I am sure once it is productive, it should pay back in less than 6 months.

Next, should I get edible fish of just fish, buy or go fishing?

No comments: