Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Attic

It was about 18 years ago when for the very first time I climbed into our newly purchased old house attic to inspect the water tank, I was really astonished to see the amount of space that can be utilised especially the wide area and height available. The house itself is about 40 years old then and after inspecting the the wood work in the attic I am really satisfied with the superb condition it is in. The water tank, it is rubbish all rusted and ready to cause a tsunami if not replaced.

Due to time and financial constrain at that time only the water tank and the other part of the house was upgraded into a home while the attic remain as a shelter for wild life. Pigeons, civet cats or musang and the occassional rats and mice ... yuks!!! The musang that actually made our attic it's home is named Eddie by my eldest daughter. Wonder where Eddie the musang is now after getting evicted.
After a couple of years later and improved financial health, a second phase of renovation was done and a staircase was installed for easy access to the attic level. Now the girls have their own room, the boy a room all to himself and off course the parents get the largest and brand new room :).
Time was still a constraint so no further construction was done to the attic. With the staircase installed and a large opening to the attic, we do get occassional unwelcome resident from the attic coming down to the second and ground level to give us a hair raising experience. Come to think it now it was quite fun chasing those critters around trying to catch it.
I did not contract this job to the contractors because I enjoy doing it myself moreover it is expensive. As a matter of fact all renovation work except for the masonry and roofing work are done by the contractors. It took me about 2 years to complete the first phase of the renovation working on weekends, public holidays and annual leave. The second phase was much faster working right into the wee hours of the morning because the family is already staying in.
Just 4 years ago I had to take a so called "voulantry self seperation" from my job, I decided to return to Malacca for good and so I have a lot of time to do as I please. So after lots of leisurely man hours (about a year or so I think) the attic is finally completed.

Finally it is HOME SWEET HOME

No comments: