Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Mini Farm

After returning from my routine 3 to 4 monthly cholesterol check, the doctor strongly advice me to go on a strict diet and do daily exercise. Dieting is really tough for me cause I like to eat sinfully delicious food so it is really gonna be tough. Exercise ..... OK I can do it I think! Four months before that check up I did nothing but just eat and sleep........ I guess that is the reason for the very unfavourable test result. This was in mid-April.

I used to go for 6km brisk walk and it did help in the cholesterol matter. So day in day out after that I tried to go for walk again but nothing happened. I went only once from then until now. I guess it is the boredom, monotony and having to do it alone makes it real difficult to do it. Anyway one day while levelling the ground around the new fence I got an idea on how to maximise my effort on a win win situation. Yes I decided to start a mini farm right in my front yard. Oh ya the new fence have a story of it's own.

Instead of just digging up the higher level ground and dumping it onto the lower and uneven level area I decided to first remove the grass with its roots. Next step is to remove about 3 to 4 inches of the rich top soil and put it aside for planting the veggie later. Level of the area and dump the excess earth onto the uneven area around the fence to level it. Finally just dump the dug up grass with roots onto the newly levelled area around the fence and hope real hard that some of it will grow. If it does not I guess it will just decompose and fertilised the ground.

All the work here will be done manually as this is a cholesterol level lowering inspired project. The tools used up till today are just a very old hoe, spade and rake. The picture on the right is the result of after more than six hours of work ........ off course not continuous. I have no real experience in planting veggies and I do not know whether they are green :) I guess this is good for me cause I really sweat like a pig after about 30minutes of digging. Farming is great because it is a continuous affair and it is productive and I hope it will really help in lowering my cholesterol before my next check up in July.

No comments: