Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Old Piano

We have had two pianos since we moved into our own home about 17 years ago, not at once but one after another. The first piano was a gift from my mum-in-law to her favourite granddaughter, my Princess, whom she always refer to as her "seh kian" in Foochow. My wife learned to play the piano on the very same piano that was given to my eldest daughter. Her grandmother had hopes that she could be a performing pianist one day after she herself was not able to do so because of world war two and her daughter failed her ....... I was told.

That piano did not stayed with us long because it was infested with wood eating creepy crawlies and so it had to be put to sleep.

The second piano came from my mum when she moved house, she does not play the piano and it was a space eater to her. She was really relieved when we agreed to take that piano off her hands. That was my sister's piano which my father bought. My wife got it serviced and tuned for Princess to practice on for her lessons which she hated.

That poor piano was also idle in our home for a long time until one fine day my only daughter decided to play it and with some guidance from her mum, she is playing it real well with no formal lesson. She is really interested in playing the piano and had progress to an electronic keyboard which she bought herself. My son used to play high speed Fur Elise and some other pieces on that piano from memory. Now he plays the guitar like his father used to ........ he can play better.

We decided to sell the piano as it was once again idle and getting real close to expiry. It was sold about a week ago and now it is only a memory.

No comments: