Monday, January 19, 2009

Annual Leave

Annual leave and Chinese New Year used to be a little bit of a problem because my staffs were all Chinese and were from out of town.

The weather a couple of weeks before Chinese New Year is normally very dry and the lawn in my home usually dries up before the festivities. After the harvest of my last leafy veggie which is water convolvulus, I decided not to continue planting any kind of leafy veggie or new plants until after the dry spell is over so I gave the leafy veggies their annual leave ....hehe!!!

This year the Chinese New Year winds or the North Easterly is really chilly in the early to late mornings and they are dry winds. Working in the mini farm makes me thirsty much faster than usual and I can see that my lawn turning brown day by day.

Work on the mini farm had to be continuous because the beds had to be turned over and fertilised for the next batch of veggies when the dry spell is over. The perennials had to be taken care of because the weeds and the pests do not take annual leave instead they work over time. The zucchini was masjestic when I first planted it but now it looks pathetic. It was attacked by some kind of bugs which I had to extermidate them one by one by hand. GRrrr!!! I hate the destructive kind of bugs.

Just can't wait for the dry spell to be over so that the mini farm can once again be green with veggies.

No comments: