Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Coronation Park


It was a lovely place to be at with lots of of things to play with .... seesaw, monkey bars, slides etc-etc. Yes it was like a giant play ground for me when I was a kid. Once in a while my father would bring us to this place with a real large playground equiped with all sorts of playground equipments one can think off, it was like paradise to me then ..... oh ya there is a beautiful garden too!!

No more playground now and the whole place have shrunk .... the beautiful fountain where I used to stretched my arms as far as possible to catch the droplets is also gone. The car park is now converted to a display area for some old retired transportation machines.

The iron cross was erected in 1954 by the Malacca Historical Society to replace an earlier cross made from wood. The site is the location of the legendary "St Francis Xavier's Rock". Legends says that St. Francis Xavier first set foot on this rock before landing in Malacca. Before the area was reclaimed, it was said that the rock was never covered by the sea during high tide. Others had different tales to tell.

The public swimming pool was built in the late sixties early seventies I think is still popular. I used to spend lots of hot afternoons there during my teen years. No there were no bikinis to see because Malacca girls were very shy I think, I just love to swim and soak in the water. I learned to scuba dive there too!

It was a beautiful park but now b-o-o-ring.

No comments: