Saturday, February 19, 2011

Aquaponics - Pebble Land!!!

After taking a survey around my yard, keeping in mind that the growing media must be easy draining, easy for the roots to anchor and neutral ph I guess.


Grow Media Choices
The first one 1 is Laterite which is the most abundant around and it is free.

Number 2 is Granite which was left over from the time I had the house renovated when I bought it. If I want to use it I guess I had to buy it.

Number 3 is River pebbles, nice to see, nice to feel but it's expensive. I had some left over when I made my pond a couple of years ago.


Pebble Land
Yes, laterite is the best choice for me and I know exactly where I can get tons of it for free. Pebble land here I come!


Ready to go!
I can get it in my yard but I do not want to leave a big hole in it, so with the necessary tools in my faithful Chariot I headed out to pebble land. It is just round the corner from my house.

The weather was really hot and the sun was scorching when I arrived there. After circling around awhile I parked at a spot that I thought where the pebbles look nicer. Got down and walk around for awhile to further inspect what pebble land had to offer.


Rest Area!
It was really burning hot and I quickly headed back to my Chariot to shield myself from the sun. While shielded from the sun, I thought to myself that all the pebbles here are same and they were everywhere. Took out the shovel and wanted to gather the pebbles that were shaded by the Chariot. Before I can start the sun was covered by passing clouds and I quickly decided that the pebbles over there looks nicer and straight away I headed there with the shovel to gather as much as I can before the sun reappear. Strange indeed, the grass always look greener on the other side.

No comments: