Saturday, February 5, 2011

Aquaponics - Grow Tanks

With the fish tank safely secured and in place, I am now into the grow beds. At first I thought that it is going to be easy until I take a closer look at the barrels that are going to converted to be the grow beds.



After rolling the barrel around , I found that laying it this way is the most stable. The 27cm height is more than enough for the grow bed. Laying it down this way means the opening hole will be just at 50% of the height and might be a problem for siphoning out all the water.



This is the concept and it looks simple enough but as I look at it more in detail, it becomes more complicated.

Initially I thought of using the Bell Siphon and I changed my mind because it takes up space in the grow bed. Moreover I do not want to make any hole in the grow tank because more holes means more chances of leaking. Since there is already a hole I'll make use of it the best way I can. To make use of the existing hole, I'll have to make use of the Loop Siphon which I think is possible to incorporate into the design but what would be workable and most efficient.



In this design, I am not sure whether the water in the 42 mm chamber would be drained out or not. I have to make use of 42 mm dia. piping because the existing hole can fit a 42 mm dia. pipe snugly.



This might work but .......



This will work but I think the water in the first section of the 42 mm pipe will back flow into the grow bed.



I like this and I think it will work. Well.....
Wanted to try it out physically but all the hardware shops are closed for the Chinese New Year break. Guess I had to wait till next week!
GONG XI FATT CAI


No comments: