Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Aquaponics - Sorting Pebbles!



Pebbles
Been busy sorting out the pebbles into three different sizes - coarse, medium and small. Need to do this because I want the largest of the stones to be right at the bottom, then the mid-size and finally the small. I wanted this because it will act like a filter and passage of the water right at the bottom would not have restriction.


Quick Fix
The first stage is to pick out those that were larger than 4cm in size. The next size was between 2~4cm which I thought the old shopping basket would be a good candidate because of the varied size gaps on it. I was wrong because it was really difficult to make use of the 4cm gap.


Sieve
After much suffering of trying to sieve the pebbles with a basket, I decided to make a proper sieve. After looking around here and there, I was lucky to find some old fencing that I used when I was romancing the romaine. The wooden frame was from part of the old bed that I found.


Systematic
With the proper sieve in place, sorting was much more pleasant. For those that were less than 1cm, they were used to fill up holes along the fence.

Getting closer!!



No comments: