Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chinese Beef Soup


Chinese beef soup with the inside ..... meaning the stomach, tendons, intestines, etc...... is always a favorite dish of mine. My youngest daughter is also crazy about it.

My first taste of beef soup was when I was in primary school and my mum bought it from Third Cross Street and it was really heavenly. Whenever my mum brought along a tiffin carrier like kind of contraption to pick us up from school, I would really be looking forward to lunch because the contraption was used for containing the beef soup ...... plastic bags were unheard off at that time. Anyway it was a great lost when the hawker of this delicious soup pass on because there was no successor so the recipe went with him.

Another great eating beef soup is in Seremban and it is served with noodles. The beef soup and the noodles are served separately but as a set. The noodles are served mixed with a thick sauce and the soup in a separate bowl. My cousins used to feed us with this very yummy beef noodles whenever we visit during our school holidays when I was still in school. It is nice to know that there were successors for this great beef noodles and both my daughters is just crazy about it.

Another place that serve great beef noodle is in Jasin but there was no successor so it is just a memory today. This place serves the beef noodles with a choice of either "dry" or in soup. Dry meaning that the noodles are separated from the soup and it is mixed with a thick sauce and my choice is always the dry one because it is tastier.

About more than five years ago we discovered this place called “Sup Lembu Tangkak” or Tangkak Beef Soup right in Malacca itself. Tangkak is a small town along the border of Malacca and Johore and I had heard of this very popular beef noodle soup but never did make an attempt to look for it before the few times I was in Tangkak. The next natural thing to do upon discovering this place was to patronise it. The very first time we were there I wanted the dry kind but was totally rejected by the shop owner and was told that people come here for the soup….Oh!!! OK we changed our order according to what was available and totally enjoyed it.

Today they are located along Panjang Road, a journey of a humble beginning from just a stall in a food court to a rented place and their very own building now so I was told. Whatever made them decide to operate in Malacca is really a good choice cause I can enjoy it whenever I feel like it. The original stall is still in Tangkak. Shall we??

No comments: