Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Aquaponics - A Visit to the Scrap Yard

Yesterday morning I made a visit to the scrap yard to dispose of my couple of months collection of recyclable scraps. It was a good trip and I am happy with the items they have that I can make use for the aquaponics.



The 1000 litres tank is superb and at $280 per piece, is OK with me. A new tank of approximately the same capacity made of fiber glass will set me back by $800 which I will never pay for it. With the $280 one I can cut about 1 foot off from the top and I'll get two open top tanks, one about 3 feet deep which I can use for the aquaculture while the other is about a foot deep which will be ideal for the hydroponics or veggies growth bed. The smaller 25 litres tanks at $4 would be great for additional veggie growth bed without eating a hole into the pocket.

There is a problem here because I do not have the transportation to transport the tank back to my home. To arrange for hire transportation would be a hassle and I do not wish to go through that. Then a bell rang in my mind that I should actually be looking at sizes that are more portable for me to move around by myself since I might have to change the location. Moreover there are many uncertainties so I guess a smaller set up would be safer.



These 200 litres tanks is just ideal and the price at $45 I think is a steal. I have a couple of these smaller size drums at home and they do not deteriorate in the sun, maybe super slowly. To transport these 200 litres drum is no problem for me.

For the grow beds to go with this 200 litres drums, I'll make use of the 25 litres containers, maybe 4 or 5 of them.

I guess this is the most ideal set up for start up and if the project works out to be really fun then I can easily expand it base on this set up. Now to the drawing board to work out the technicalities set up design with these available hardware.


No comments: