Saturday, January 29, 2011

Aquaponics - Wedgies

Before starting on the wedgies, thanks to rain I am able to collect more than enough water to fill up the tank to the max.



After having it filled, I can now very confidently say that the stress at the opening is minimal if any and 100% no leak at the screw cap holes or any other part of the tank. I tried rolling the tank but it need lots of effort so there is indeed a need for some kind of stopper.

After consideration, decided on the wedgies .... as Sjoerd (member of Garden Stew) said it "THE best idea in terms of cost and simplicity."



Found a piece of left over very hard wood beam which was used in the renovation of my house about 20 years ago and so no extra cost but high value!



This species of wood is rated as the second most hard wood from the tropical rain forest. If any termites dare to take a bite at it, I am sure they will have to go see a dentist after that!! Having not saw a piece of hardwood for a long time and with my glasses on for the first time, the end result is a beveled edge instead of a true 90ยบ flat face. A contoured or concave face would be great but due to my laziness ........



Anyway this error actually worked in my favor because of the sloping part of the wedgies actually fit nicely to the tank. With a little tap the wedgies fitted snugly into position and it is almost impossible to remove it after that.



Well Jerry, it is the barrel against the wall with a couple of wedges. It is really stable and neat.


No comments: