Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Malacca Central Market

Not too long ago we had never ever thought of doing our marketing in the Central Market even though we frequent the hypermart across the road every now and then. The wet market is a place where most people will avoid going as much as possible but then again there are those who prefer the wet market to the hypermart. There are also those who frequent both the hypermart and wet market, these are the people who have the advantage of enjoying the best of both worlds.

It was about two years ago after my wife return from a trip to England to attend her nephew's wedding and one of her mission was to bring home a meat thermometer. Yes, a meat thermometer is right on top of the shopping list for her in England and that is all I wanted, nothing else. With a meat thermometer I can make roast beef the way I wanted it .......... rear, medium rear, done or well done .......... no need to play the guessing game. I had wanted to have roast beef for quite awhile and having the thermometer there us no excuse of not doing it.

The first piece of beef I used was frozen Australian Beef from our regular frozen food supplier. I was not able to get the part of cut that I wanted so had to settle for another. It turned out OK but I am sure it can be better remembering the texture of the very first bite of roast beef I ever had, it was tender and juicy. It was many many years ago and it was the first time in my life that I ever tasted roast beef .......... it is love at first bite hehehe!!! It was Arby's and the very first outlet was located in Jalan Barat in Petaling Jaya but sad to say it only lasted for a short period of time.

The search for the right cut of beef lead us to the central market and we were not able to get what we wanted on our first visit but we made contact. Nowadays we just call our regular butcher a day or two earlier before we make our weekly visit and place an order for our requirement ......... great service ya!!

The fishes there are also great and there are lots of variety to choose from. Our fishmonger is really a character and we now call him "Cikgu" (Malay for teacher) because he thought that I was a "Cikgu"

Our perception about the central market is now different from the past, we visit it almost weekly for our seafood and sometimes beef. So if you are going to check out the central market, be careful where you put your foot!!! It's WET :)

No comments: