Saturday, August 16, 2008

More Seeds

Having successfully planted all the different seeds that I bought and collected from various sources, I decided to expand the mini farm further by planting more varieties of plants. Off I went to the same seed supplier that I bought my first batch of seeds from.

I was satisfied with the seeds that I bought from this seeds trader except for the one packet of brassica that they repack them self because the germination rate is less than 30%. I made a complaint and he started probing for more details as to how I planted them because he could not believe his product is that bad. After a quick session of questions and answers, he came to the conclusion that the potting media is not right. After a brief explanation he recommended that I make use of pest moss. Peat moss ......... hmmm !!! heard of it but couldn't place where I came across it ............ his explanation is logical so I bought a bag to try out.

When I got home I did further research on potting media in the net and discovered that coir is a more favoured media over peat moss. Coir which is from coconut can easily be sourced from where I am staying. I thought that having successfully made compost is the key to successful organic farming. Guess these are the innocent thoughts of a first time farmer ..............

Armed with new knowledge I went down the road to the drink seller and asked for some coconut shell ..... husk ....... anyway it is the remains of the coconut after the water and the flesh kind of thingy had been remove to be sold to thirsty passerby. The water seller was really happy that I am collecting this coconut thingy from him because it save him the trouble to get rid of it. He told me I am welcome to collect it and it is available everyday.

Now that I got all the materials......... err some knew knowledge too .......I am going to do a comparision on the rate of germination and quality of seedling by using 100% peat moss and 100% coir. :)

No comments: