Sunday, August 24, 2008

Preparing Coir


Coir, yes it is coconut husk .......... it had been awhile since I got the two coconut husk from the drink seller down the road. Decided to prepare it for planting some seeds today since I had finished preparing a new bed to take in more plants in the mini farm.

The first thing to do is to separate the fibrous part from the hard nutty part ........... it is not as difficult as I had imagine it, guess being born in the year of the monkey really help huh!! hehe!! After separating the two parts cut the fibrous part about three centimeters or so then find a suitable way to make the fibrous parts into finer chips. Initially I wanted to reuse a kitchen chopper but was unable to revive it after spending one and the half days trying to modify it to make it work ............ so it is back to the mortar and pestle which I have got official approval from the home minister. My princess helped me to pound the coconut husk which help in breaking the monotony of pounding. WARNING!!! If you are not the home minister please refrain from using any kitchen thingy from the home minister's kitchen like food processor, blender and so on ............ unless you are ready to face the consequences...... you know what I mean hehe!!!

After making the coconut husk into finer chips I some of them into a few starter pots to see what will happen to it after twenty four hours. Oh ya!! the knife that I use to cut the coconut husk with is my scuba diving knife ......... :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wan kai lan!!!! HONG KONG KAI LAN!!!!

KK said...

Hong Kong Kai Lan arrrhh!!!! I got kai lan but I don't think it is Hong Kong type oh!!!!