Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Sio Bak" & "Chiak Sio"

"Sio Bak" is Hokkien for roast pork and "Chiak Sio" is lean roast. For the Chinese roast pork is traditionally eaten with lean roast. The part for the roast pork must be from the belly and the lean roast usually just any lean part will do .......... the seasoning is different but I think it is quite simple. If you want to know I'll have to ask my wife, she is the expert, me I just eat only hehe!!

A great "sio bak" is not only in the taste but also in the bite and feel, all have to be perfect to make it special. If you have eaten "sio bak" I am sure you know what I mean right! There are just "sio bak", so so one and wow!!! mouth watering kind. The mouth watering kind is really hard to come by ............ it has to be perfect in taste, the meat is juicy and tender, the skin .......cruck cruck cruck yup crispy and crunchy ........ just thinking of it is making my mouth watering .........whoa!!! After much trial and error in the past, my wife's "sio bak" is classified in the mouth watering section ....yum yum!!! I think the trick is in the process of roasting.

From young I had never really fancied "chiak sio" because it is boring until my mum started making it herself. Stall bought "chiak sio" is meaningless, usually fibrous, dry and tasteless. My mum taught my wife how to do it and she made some modification to perfect it. Her "chiak sio" is full of taste, smooth and juicy making you always wanting more after the first piece. In simple words "HO CIAK"

No comments: