Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Scissors Sharpening

I was entrusted with the task of sharpening a pair of scissors recently by my wife. Whoa!!! Sharpening scissors??? OK I must admit that I have no experience at all in this area and it was really a scary thought if I were to spoil it. This particular pair of scissors is a gift from her mum a very long time ago and it is not any kind of scissors but a pair of tailoring scissors.

My mum too have a pair of tailoring scissors and as far as I can remember that pair of scissors had been around for ages. If my memory served me correctly she got it as a gift for purchasing her very first own sewing machine then, yes it is a Singer. She really treasured that pair of scissors and it had help her to clothe us when we were small including some of our Chinese New Year best. She had a real passion for tailoring.

When we were kids, we would quietly make use of her treasured scissors and cut paper to make ......... I cannot remember what ........ without her knowledge because we were barred from using it. We thought we were smart using it secretly but the moment when she uses it again she would know straight away that we had been at it because it was not as sharp as the last time she used it. She only used it for cutting cloth and nothing else, lucky for us she knew where to sent it for sharpening by a professional so we only got a real good scolding.

My wife is also passionate about sewing and that pair of scissors had cut through thousand of meters of fabric including two fashion shows. It was really a heavy task so I had to lay down my condition that there is no guarantee that I can do a good job of it and if in the worst case it would have to be sent to the professional to be corrected.

First I tried to separate the scissors into two separate pieces but was unable to do so because the end of the bolt was punched to stop the nut from separating from the bolt. The thread from the end of the bolt seems to be smoothen out to prevent the but from tightening or loosening. What an issue!@#? Looks like there was no other choice but to do it as it is. Anyway it is done and there was no feed back yet .......... hmm she is using it to modify a dress now........ guess it must be OK. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's great!! Nice and sharp!

KK said...

Ya kah?? hehe!!! :)