Sunday, June 29, 2008

Carpentry

Carpentry is truly a fulfilling past time to pursue. My first attempt to build something out of wood was when I was about twelve. I was into rearing fish at that time and my mum bought me a cement aquarium with a piece of glass build in so that we can see the inside of the aquarium from the side.Those days all glass or plastic aquariums were unheard off. I was really excited about getting that aquarium, it was 18X18X24 inches in dimension and green in colour. Before having an aquarium, I was rearing fishes in a condensed milk boxes lined with plastic sheets. The condensed milk boxes at that time were made of wood.

OK I have an aquarium and I need a stand to put it on to display it. My mum loves to plant orchids and to plant orchid on the ground you will need wooden beams for it to climb. Hehe!!! Guess where I got most of the materials from??? :) OK as a good boy I got permission to make use of the excess beams and my father's tools. After a whole day of struggling and a few cuts on the fingers I can proudly say that I made my very first creation ......... a totally out of proportion highly unstable aquarium stand. Yes I was very disappointed with it and my father had to make the necessary adjustment before it can be used.


When in secondary school, I learned a lot more about carpentry in woodworking classes and I really enjoyed all the Industrial Arts subjects. My carpentry skill improved very much and also learned to make use of the right tool for the right job. It is really important to understand how each tool function and the kind of work it is meant to do ........... after all "A bad carpenter always blames his tools" right??


Talking about tools. almost all my tools - powered or basic - are about 25 years or older. I guess with proper care they can last a life time. Over the years with some of the same tools I have made countless item and most of them are still in use.

Yes it is indeed a fulfilling past time. ;)

No comments: